2013 Annual General Meeting & Policy Forum
Feb 4, 2014
Recycling Council of Ontario hosted its Annual General Meeting and Policy Forum in Toronto on Feb. 4, 2014. Over 100 attendees enjoyed a full day of compelling speakers and discussion on the future of waste reduction policy and practice in Ontario.
A keynote presentation launched the day’s agenda, which focused on the interrelationship between competition law and extended producer responsibility (EPR) policy. The featured presenter, Mr. Arno Rasek, waste management rapporteur for Germany’s Bundeskartellamt (Federal Cartel Office), focused on the demonopolization of a packaging scheme that resulted in eight competing organizations and a reduction in packaging recycling costs of more than 50 per cent.
His overview of the competition arena in Germany set the stage for Mr. Chris Busuttil, Major Case Director and Strategic Policy Advisor for the Economic Policy and Enforcement Branch of the Competition Bureau of Canada. Mr. Busuttil provided attendees with details of the Competition Act and its links to EPR policy here in Canada.
The afternoon’s agenda focused solely on Ontario and the newly proposed Bill 91: Waste Reduction Act.
Part one of the afternoon featured the Honourable Jim Bradley, Minister of the Environment, Ontario PC Party and NDP environment critics Michael Harris and Jonah Schein, and Ontario Green Party Leader Michael Schreiner. Participants had the opportunity to hear directly from the politicians who oversee the environment portfolio at Queen's Park and pose questions on the proposed act.
The afternoon was capped off by a stakeholder roundtable that featured a diverse panel representing their respective positions on the Waste Reduction Act while exploring its potential to further producer responsibility and improve Ontario’s waste reduction outcomes:
- Christine Bome: Director, Government Affairs, Wal-Mart Canada
- Rob Cook: CEO, Ontario Waste Management Association
- John Coyne: Vice-President, Corporate Secretary and General Counsel, Unilever Canada
- Mirka Januszkiewicz: Director, Waste Management, Region of Durham
- Norman Lee: Director, Waste Management, Region of Peel
- Candice Malcolm: Ontario Director, Canadian Taxpayers Federation
- David Moran: Director, Public Affairs and Communications, Coca-Cola Canada
- Jay Stanford: Director, Environment, Fleet & Solid Waste, City of London
Many thanks to speakers and presenters for sharing their expertise and engendering insightful discussion, and to members and non-members who joined us.
Annual General Meeting and Policy Forum Sponsors