Job Posting Alert: City of London – Environmental & Engineering Services
Job Posting Alert: Essex-Windsor Solid Waste Authority
City of London
Jan. 9, 2018
Position: Manager, Solid Waste Engineering & Planning (Project Manager)
Position Type: Temporary, Full-time
File #: M-04-18E
The Corporation of the City of London strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community.
Reporting to the Division Manager III, Solid Waste Management, the Manager, Solid Waste Engineering & Planning (Project Manager) leads the planning, engineering, and delivery of solid waste engineering and resource recovery projects (i.e., the priority project is the development and construction of a 500 kW Landfill Gas Power Plant) and participates in related multi-disciplinary environmental projects requiring specialist expertise, oversight of staff and consultants and capital budget management.
- University undergraduate degree in Engineering, Science, Business, or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in delivering solid waste services that includes comprehensive project management (preliminary and detailed design, approvals, construction, commissioning) of large waste management capital projects and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management, supervisory and administrative capacity.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in the Province of Ontario is an asset.
- Completion of the Project Management Professional program is a significant asset.
- Experience in the public sector is a significant asset.
- Experience with a particular focus on landfill gas projects is an asset
- Must possess a valid class ‘G’ driver’s license.
- Ability to practice and promote the City of London’s Corporate Values and Behaviours in all work performed as an employee of the Corporation.
- Demonstrated ability to delegate responsibilities and tasks and ensure that expectations are met.
- Considerable knowledge, skills and abilities in all phases of the project cycle (i.e. conceptualization, preplanning, planning, detailed design, construction, commissioning, benefits realization and transition to maintenance and operations).
- Considerable knowledge in “project management resource recovery” technologies, waste disposal planning and engineering including experience with the Environmental Assessment Act, Environmental Protection Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Municipal Act, site selection approaches and techniques, and strategic report writing and communications.
- Considerable knowledge with various aspects of the waste management system including garbage collection, recycling, composting, resource recovery, landfilling and related waste management policies and regulations.
- Knowledge and experience with various environmental systems, process and programs that may be applied to the fields of transportation demand management, air quality and urban watershed.
- Considerable knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of each level of government with respect to environmental protection.
- Knowledge of financial, social and environmental impacts as applied to the delivery of waste management systems.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage activities of technical and operational staff, community volunteers and consultant work.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Environmental & Engineering Services Department staff, superiors, elected officials, representatives from other City departments, outside Boards and Commissions, business representatives and the general public.
- Ability to prepare and present complex proposals effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to follow all health and safety rules as set out by City of London policy.
- Ability to deal with the public and landowners adjacent to active and closed landfill facilities in order to maintain a harmonious working relationship.
- Considerable skills in communications which demand sensitivity, knowledge, respect, organization, service orientation and responding to concerns, issues and questions with respect to waste management.
Compensation: $79,458 to $112,551
Other Information: This is a multi-year contract position for up to 4 years.
How to Apply: For a complete job description and to apply on-line, please visit the City of London
Please Note: Following the interview stage, official transcripts as well as a criminal record check will be required prior to moving to the next stage in the selection process.
Closing Date for Applications: Tuesday, January 30, 2018.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of London is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.
Essex-Windsor Solid Waste Authority
Position: Manager of Waste Diversion (Recycling, Other Reduce/Reuse/Recycle Programs, Public Education)
Application deadline: Feb. 9, 2018
The Essex-Windsor Solid Waste Authority (EWSWA) is a municipal agency created by the City of Windsor and the County of Essex to manage waste in the Essex-Windsor region. The EWSWA reports to a Board comprised of councillors, warden, mayors and deputy-mayors from Windsor and the seven County municipalities.
The EWSWA is responsible for the progressive approach to the reduction of solid waste through recycling, reuse and other environmentally safe alternatives. The EWSWA is also responsible for quality service in providing an environmentally sound landfill site, operating transfer stations/depots, maintaining the perpetual care of closed landfill sites and undertaking the composting of non-food organics.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Manager of Waste Diversion is responsible for the management of the blue box recycling program and all other Reduce/Reuse/Recycle programs related to yard waste organics, household chemical waste, electronics, tires and white goods; the administration of a public education and advertising program; the administration of contracts and the preparation & administration of operating and capital budgets.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Administer the various Waste Diversion programs for which the Essex-Windsor Solid Waste Authority is charged with delivering to the residents of Windsor and the 7 County of Essex municipalities
- Develop, recommend, implement and administer policies and procedures
- Develop, prepare, recommend and administer operating and capital budgets
- Authorize the acquisition of goods and services and related payment
- Manage contracts and contractors providing services to the Authority
- Recruit, interview, recommend for hire, train, evaluate performance, recommend discipline and discharge of union and non-union staff under direct and indirect supervision. Responsible for productivity, accuracy and efficiency of staff.
- Prepare written reports for consideration by the General Manager and/or the EWSWA Board and its Committees
- Make oral presentations to the EWSWA Board and/or its Committees
- Liaise, negotiate and work in conjunction with various municipalities, organizations, contractors,suppliers, vendors, government agencies, EWSWA Board and/or its Committees
- Prepare tender documents, RFPs, RFQs and agreements for goods and services
- Manage and maintain physical assets such as buildings, equipment and vehicles
- During certain times of the year supervise the day-to-day operations
- Ensure compliance with Provincial, Federal and municipal by-laws, rules, regulations, policies, statutes, laws including the Ministry of Labour’s Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Oversee the Joint Health & Safety Committee related to the EWSWA’s Waste Diversion activities
- Ensure compliance with various Environmental Compliance Approvals
- University degree in Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, Engineering, Business or related field
- 5 or more years of related or relevant experience – such experience should include 3 or more years of supervisory experience in a management position
- Experience working for a non-municipal employer (additional asset if employment history includes a municipal employer)
- Experience in managing contracts for those providing goods and services
- Knowledge of the principles of composting would be an asset
- Knowledge of the waste management industry would be an asset
- Certification and/or training by the Ontario Ministry of Labour pertaining to the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Workplace Safety & Insurance Board would be an asset
- Experience in dealing with the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) and knowledge of the Environmental Protection Act (EPA) would be an asset
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills
- Experience in supervising non-union and union staff
- Experience with preparing budgets
- Experience with preparation of tenders, RFPs and RFQs
- Experience with the application and interpretation of collective agreements and the current issues of labour-management relations
- Required to possess and maintain a valid Class “G” Ontario driver’s licence and have access to a personal vehicle for work related purposes (travel within Windsor and/or the County of Essex will be a requirement of the position)
- Ability to work outside of regular daily hours, including Saturdays and Sundays, as required
Compensation: Salary range is between $86,455 and $106,131 plus a comprehensive vacation, pension and benefits package
Closing Date: Friday, Feb. 9, 2018, 5 p.m.
Apply in confidence, via mail or email to:
Eli Maodus,CPA, CMA,
Essex-Windsor Solid Waste Authority
360 Fairview Ave. W., Suite 211 Essex ON, N8M 3G4
Interested in posting your own position? Employers may submit job postings for the RCO website at the following rates:
- RCO Members: $150
- Non-members: $250
Each concurrent ad is 10% off. Ads will be posted for a maximum of one month and sent to RCO members via email notice at least once during that time period. Please submit ads to email@example.com or call 416-657-2797, ext. 1 for more information.